It was a matter of pride for the state that on the 70th Independence day celebrations at Delhi nineteen cops of Karnataka police were honored with police medals for excellence in performing their duties. Two officers bagged the prestigious President’s medal for distinguished services while seventeen officers from Karnataka were awarded police medal for their meritorious service.
The President’s police medal originally called the President’s police and fire service medal is a decoration awarded to the members of law enforcement in India. The award was instituted on 1 March 1951 and is awarded for either gallantry or distinguished services. The gallantry version of the medal is accorded a higher superiority. The medal is awarded annually on Republic Day and Independence Day. The President’s police medal is awarded for “gallantry in saving life and property, or in preventing crime or arresting criminals.” The medal may be awarded to any member of the police service in India, and is awarded without regard to rank or time in service. Recipients of the medal are granted a monthly stipend that is paid to them even on retirement. Upon the recipient’s death it is paid to the surviving spouse.
The President’s police medal for distinguished services is awarded for long and distinguished services to individuals who have served for at least 21 years in the police service or in the central police and security organizations. Individuals must be prior recipients of the police medal for meritorious services and must have held that medal for at least six years.
The following police officers /men of Karnataka state were conferred with President’s police medal for distinguished services and police medal for meritorious services by the President of India on the occasion of Independence Day– 2016:
Recipients of President’s police Medal For Distinguished Service :
1. Sri. A.S.N. Murthy, IPS, IGP, ISD, Bengaluru.
2. Sri. Vijaya Kumar G. Dambal, Addl. SP. Ballari dist.
Police Medal for Meritorious Services :
- Sri. M.N. Nagaraj, IPS, Supdt. of Police, Bagalakot district.
- Sri. Manjunath Annigeri, IPS, Supdt. of Police, SIT, Karnataka Lokayukta, Bengaluru.
- Sri. S. Badrinath, ACP- K. R. Pur, Sub Dn, Bengaluru city.
- Sri. Vinay A. Gaonkar, ACP- Cubbon Park, SubDn, Bengaluru city.
- Sri. V. Mariyappa, ACP Traffic South Sub Dn, Bengaluru city.
- Sri. Somalingappa B. Chabbi, ACP- North SubDn, Hubballi city.
- Sri.C. A. Siddalingaiah, PI,KLA, Kolar.
- Sri .M. Shantharaj, PI (w),central workshop, HQ,Bengaluru.
- Sri. Pramod S. Dhage, PI(w), dist. control room, Bengaluru Rl. dist.
- Sri. Sreedhar Doddi, PI Hospettown PS, Ballaridist.
- Sri. K. S. Praneshmurthy,PSI, State Int, Bengaluru.
- Sri. P. Nagaraj, ASI,Gandasi PS, Hassan dist.
- Sri. T. L. Mudduraju Urs,ARSI, DAR, Chikmagalur.
- Sri. C. K. Padmanabha, ASI,D i s t . C r i m e B r a n c h ,Chikmagalur.
- Sri. A. M. Palangappa,ARSI, 3rd Bn, KSRP,Bengaluru.
- Sri. K. E. Mathew, AHC-25,DAR, Shivamogga.
- Sri .C. Hiriyannaiah, AHC-65, DAR, Chikmagalur.